In this workshop we’ll show you some options for building your own academic website with the goal of developing or refining a professional online presence. This can be a site ranging from an online CV or portfolio, to a developmental space to explore digital pedagogy and scholarship, to an alternative class space online.
- Start with WordPress.com
- Domains vs. subdomains vs. hosting – i.e. IDENTITY and OWNERSHIP
- Picking a theme
- Professional Elements for Faculty
- Functionality of your site – What if you want more —> Hosted WordPress
- A Word About Social Media
Remember – these sites are like gardens. They need to be tended to, and occasionally weeded and fertilized (please, only virtual fertilizer). Remember this is your online identity. It needs to be constantly managed, but with that management, it means that you will have the most control over it.
- Instructions for signing up for a WordPress.com
- What’s a Gravatar and why should you have one?
- How to Maintain Your Digital Identity As An Academic
- WordPress Best Practices Workshop
- Other Upcoming CIRT Events/Workshop